What to do if your dog eats chocolate? Are there home remedies?

In this short article, we will answer the question “What to do if your dog eats chocolate?”, discuss whether are home remedies and explain to you the signs of possible intoxication.

What to do if your dog eats chocolate? 

You should visit a veterinarian right away. Always have a veterinarian’s contact information handy. Depending on how much chocolate was consumed and the size of the dog, different symptoms may appear in dogs. 

It is not wise to hold off on taking your dog to the vet until symptoms start to show. Anyone who believes that other varieties of chocolate are safe for their dog to consume is mistaken because the symptoms of chocolate poisoning might vary.

In their varied cocoa percentages, both white and dark chocolate are unhealthy. 

Anything that contains chocolate, including cookies, cakes, pies, and mousse, can make your dog drowsy depending on the size of the dog, the quantity of chocolate consumed, and the type of chocolate (the darker and purer, the more toxic).

Theobromine is toxic and difficult to get rid of because the liver is the sole organ through which it can leave the body. It can remain in the body for up to 6 days while acting in the animal’s blood.

The symptoms can include nausea, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased water intake, and frequent urination. It may potentially pass away in more serious situations. 

Sometimes, generally between 12 and 24 hours after intake, intestinal bleeding might happen. Intoxication is typically more common in tiny animals since there is more chocolate accessible relative to their weight. The size of the dog also affects intoxication.

Because of their innate curiosity, young animals and puppies are more likely to consume big amounts of strange foods. Due to theobromine’s ability to stay in the body for up to six days, toxic doses may not always need to be consumed all at once. 

As a result, taking the same amount multiple times on different days can likewise get you drunk.

Are there home remedies?

Unfortunately no. Since there is no known cure for theobromine poisoning, medical care should focus on treating the symptoms as they appear. A medical emergency has occurred. 

The veterinarian should attempt to induce vomiting in the animal if the consumption was recent (within three hours). Vomiting and diarrhoea typically need the initiation of IV drips, necessitating hospitalisation until symptoms are under control.

The presence of lipids can cause a gastroenteric condition (vomiting and diarrhoea) if white chocolate or another chocolate with a low theobromine concentration is consumed. Finding a veterinarian doctor is crucial in any situation!

On the other hand, if you see someone eating chocolate, do as follows: 

  • Remove the dog’s chocolate consumption right away; keep the pet in a ventilated place;
  • the leftover chocolate for the veterinarian to see;
  • Take the dog to the veterinarian as soon as you can if it has consumed a significant amount;
  • Give the veterinarian as much information as possible, including the amount consumed and the duration;
  • Don’t make the dog throw up and stay away from natural cures.
  • Even while some dogs appear to be healthy after consuming chocolate and don’t exhibit any symptoms, you should nonetheless take them to the doctor.

Remember that all chocolate is bad for dogs, and the vet will always make the final determination.

What signs might a dog exhibit after consuming chocolate?

These signs could appear in the dog within the first 6 to 12 hours:

  • agitation, 
  • increased heart rate, 
  • nausea, 
  •  trembling, 
  • vomiting, 
  • muscle contraction
  • unusual thirst, 
  • frequent urination

Keep your cool if you see your dog acting in this way. He might not have these symptoms if he consumes a modest bit of chocolate, but if he consumes a large amount, he might experience nausea within an hour after consumption.

Take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as you notice these symptoms. Checking what he ate and how much he ate is crucial before telling the professional. If he consumed a significant amount, the veterinarian might make him puke. 

Only a professional can perform this, so don’t attempt it at home. The quicker you can assist the dog, the better.


In this short article, we answered the question “What to do if your dog eats chocolate?”, discussed whether are home remedies and explained to you the signs of possible intoxication.



Leave a Comment