In this short article, we will answer the question “How do you make red bean ice cream?” and will discuss the benefits of its main ingredient: the adzuki bean.
The adzuki beans are a legume widely used in Japanese cuisine, the adzuki beans are used in the preparation of sweets with a mild flavour and many other dishes. It is a great ingredient for making sweets with adzuki beans, as its flavour is light and easy to adapt.
There are candies and sweets made only with sugar and legumes. An example is amanatto, a type of wagashi made with adzuki beans and sugar.
Jams and even ice cream with adzuki beans are also made! Adzuki bean ice cream is one of Japan’s delights, it is called red bean ice cream. Shall we learn to do it?
How do you make red bean ice cream?
See below the step by step to make red bean ice cream.
What will you need:
- 230 g of raw adzuki beans
- 65 g of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 830 ml of water
- 240 ml of milk
- 240 ml of sour cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 130 g of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Method of preparation:
- In a pan, combine the adzuki beans with 65 g of sugar, lemon juice and water.
- Let this mixture come to a boil and, with the pan uncovered, boil it for 3 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 2 ½ to 3 hours. Or, until the beans are very soft.
- At the end of cooking, the beans and liquid should reach 3 cups (750 ml). If not, add more water to compensate.
- Strain the bean mixture through a sieve and discard the husks. Place this mixture in the fridge for about 2 hours or until cool.
- In another pan, add the milk with the cream. Let it boil over medium heat.
- While you wait for this mixture to boil, beat the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl.
- When the cream and milk start to boil, place 4 tablespoons – 60 ml – of the hot liquid in the bowl with the yolks.
- Beat until you get a homogeneous cream.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the pan with the cream and cook over low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take about 5 minutes. Do not overcook or the cream will become lumpy.
- Remove it from the heat, add the vanilla and stir. Then put it in the fridge until it cools down.
- Once the mixtures are cool, add the two together and stir. Pour everything into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
What advantages do adzuki beans have?
- Beneficial for the gallbladder and kidneys
As a diuretic, the adzuki bean is excellent for diluting, preventing, and expelling kidney and gallbladder stones because it aids in the body’s removal of extra sodium.
- Suitable for diabetics
This bean helps to significantly lower blood sugar levels since it ferments more quickly than the others and is simple to digest.
- Promotes digestion
Adzuki beans aid in digestion and ward off stomach issues because they are readily digested and high in fibre.
Additionally, this vitamin strengthens the colon, fights constipation, and prevents diseases and issues associated with this organ. It also enhances intestinal flora.
- Provides satiety, avoiding compulsive behaviour
Fibres also have the benefit of making you feel full, which helps you prevent binge eating. Additionally, because they are extremely low in calories, they end up assisting those who need to lose weight in doing so.
- A pregnant woman’s ally
Due to its high folic acid content, adzuki beans are excellent for pregnant women (who often need daily chemical replacement). Additionally, it safeguards the placenta and guards against several prenatal illnesses such as anencephaly and birth abnormalities.
- Beneficial for the blood pressure and heart
This dish provides a source of fibre, which lowers bad cholesterol, as well as magnesium and potassium, which support healthy cardiovascular function and relax blood vessels. As a result, the risk of hypertension, stroke, and other cardiac diseases is reduced.
- Beneficial for people wishing to put on muscle
Do you desire a natural protein bomb? He pondered! Adzuki beans are a great source of protein for people trying to build muscle mass. This nutrient also helps to give more energy to the body, which is why it is essential in the diet of those who exercise.
- Strengthens bone structure and prevents osteoporosis
Adzuki beans include zinc and copper, two minerals that promote bone health and help stave against conditions like osteoporosis. In addition, copper prevents premature cellular ageing and zinc aids in healing.
- It detoxifies the body.
Do you know what molybdenum is? It is a very potent mineral with cleansing properties that our bodies even create. And what food is high in molybdenum, by the way?
Adzuki beans, exactly! It is important to keep in mind that detox foods promote the body’s ability to absorb healthy chemicals while also helping to remove toxins from the body.
- Fights and prevents anaemia
The iron-rich adzuki bean, like all excellent beans, aids in the prevention of anaemia. Due to its high iron content and speedy digestion, it’s also a fantastic food to eat when you’re already sick.
Why is that? Have you persuaded yourself to include this legume in your diet every day?
In this short article, we answered the question “How do you make red bean ice cream?” and also discussed the benefits of its main ingredient: the adzuki bean.